Parish Calendars

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Catholic BlackBerry

As I've continued to play with my new BlackBerry Pearl, I've been able to see the power that these smart phones really can have. I also can see the addictiveness that has caused them to be labeled "CrackBerry". One thing I've had a hard time finding are add-ons with a specific Catholic mindset, such as Rosary programs, liturgical calendars, and so on. There is much that these devices can do in a Catholic environment, so I'd like to hear how others use their BlackBerry as Catholics. Also, I'd really like to hear about Catholic programs and tools that are available for these phones.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been looking for Catholic Content and unilities for my Blackberry as well (if you've not downloaded the PDA version of 'Sacred Space' www.sacredpace.com you may want to check it out - it's wonderful!).

Wouldn't a calendar with the liturgical colors be cool? or a Calendar with links to feast days? you get the idea... If I find anything, I'll come back and post.

Thanks so much for being open to and responding to God's call to the priesthood. The people of God both need you and APPRECIATE you!

blisschick@pacbell.net

Peter said...

Father:
May God continue to bless you and guide you (and all holy, faithful priests)!
I also have a Blackberry (Curve) and desparately am looking for Catholic content to load on as applications here.
Like a monstrance background (may just take a picture) or saint of the day (calendar), mass readings, etc.
Please let me know if you run across any.

Anonymous said...

Father,

I don't know if youn have run across this site yet, but it is a great tool for office of the hours and daily readings:

http://www.universalis.com/n-wap.htm

It works great on my blackberry.

God Bless,
BHerrman

Father Cory Sticha said...

BHerrman,

Thanks for the link to Universalis. I've been familiar with their site for some time now. While it's good that they're doing their own translation instead of using the ICEL-copyrighted English translation, the Universalis translation seems to be incomplete. It doesn't have any of the psalm antiphons, nor does the responsory appear after the reading for Morning and Evening Prayer. So it's not perfect, but it would be good for someone trying to learn how to pray the Liturgy of the Hours.

May God bless you as well!